Now Hiring: Visitor Services Counsellor
Visitor Services Counsellor – Vancouver Island Visitor Centre (Comox Valley) (temporary, 8 -16 weeks, full-time)
Tourism Vancouver Island gratefully acknowledges that we live, work and play on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territories of the Kwakwaka’wakw, Nuu-chah-nulth, and Coast Salish peoples. Moreover, Tourism Vancouver Island gratefully acknowledges that the Vancouver Island Visitor Centre and its services are on the traditional unceded territory of the K’òmoks First Nation.
Tourism Vancouver Island has several job openings for qualified and passionate individuals looking to join a team of tourism professionals who love where they live, and love what they do.
If you are a service-oriented person with natural people and communication skills and love to promote the Comox Valley and our beautiful island to locals and visitors ― we want to hear from you.
Tourism Vancouver Island is a purpose-driven tourism management organization representing and supporting the tourism & hospitality industry of Vancouver Island and operates the Vancouver Island Visitor Centre (Comox Valley). We are grounded by our guiding principles of inclusion, reconciliation and mindful travel promotion.
You will report to the Visitor Services Manager and will be an important member of the Visitor Services Team at the Vancouver Island Visitor Centre (Comox Valley). Visitor Services Counsellors are an important link between residents, visitors and the tourism sector providers and provide answers to questions about the area, history, attractions and accommodations.
About the Position
Your primary responsibilities are to engage with visitors at the Vancouver Island Visitor Centre (Comox Valley) by providing personalized service; to promote tourism stakeholders and the Comox Valley as a preferred travel destination and provide general support to the Tourism Vancouver Island team as required.
- Greet visitors in a professional, prompt and friendly manner.
- Promote the Comox Valley stakeholders, local tourism products, services and events.
- Respond to resident and visitor inquiries by mail, phone, email, and in-person.
- Create personalized travel itineraries in response to resident and visitor inquiries.
- Encourage safe travel practices in our community and advocate for longer and return visits.
- Assist in ongoing community and stakeholder outreach to collect updated operational information.
- Research and maintain community information relevant to any travel advisories and COVID specific information.
- Summarize and report any findings and important feedback to Vancouver Island Visitor Centre (Comox Valley) staff in regards to COVID related issues and stakeholder concerns.
- Maintain and update files and reference manuals.
- Create statistical reports for Destination BC on resident and visitor statistics.
- Assist the Visitor Services Manager with program administration.
- Provide assistance to Vancouver Island Visitor Centre (Comox Valley) and Tourism Vancouver Island staff as required
What we are looking for:
- A post-secondary education in a relevant field like Tourism Management, Marketing or Volunteer Management is considered an asset
- Experience in tourism, with a focus on visitor services and volunteer management is an asset
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- General office skills, including basic computer literacy
- Experience with MS Office and database programs is a definite asset
- Able to work well with a small team and be goal oriented
- High degree of sensitivity in dealing with the Public, and Stakeholders
- Able to work independently, show initiative and meet deadlines
- Able to work flexible hours as required
- Able to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- A valid drivers’ license and a reliable vehicle is preferred
This is a temporary, casual position, based on 0-40 hours per week. Term may be extended by mutual agreement. Weekend work and some evenings may be required.
Tourism Vancouver Island is committed to the development of a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, race, ethnic origin, colour, religion, nationality, disability, age or other characteristic protected by applicable law. We encourage interest in particular from Indigenous peoples, peoples with disabilities, ethnic minorities, visible minorities and all qualified individuals who share our belief in a workplace of diversity.
How to apply:
To apply please submit your resume and cover letter which clearly outlines your suitability to email@example.com.